Day 4 - How to tell your parents you have a brain tumor

Thinking about how to tell your parents you have been diagnosed with a brain tumor is not a conversation one believes they will ever have. At least I never imagined myself having to do this. “You just have to say it. Call them and say it.” “Fuck. This is terrible.”

I decided to call my mom first. Ring, ring. Ring, ring. “Sheila, what are you up to?” “Oh, I just finished teaching a class so I thought I’d call to say hi.” “Oh, that’s so nice of you.” After some small chat and talking about our past couple days, I mention I have something else to tell her. “So I thought my CT scan was clear, but the nurse called me a few days ago and said she didn’t realize I had two separate CT scans. One with contrast and one without.” I hear my mom’s throat tighten. “She said there was an incidental finding of something called a meningioma brain tumor on the second scan and they will be referring me to neurology. She said it’s no big deal and they will probably just keep an eye on it. I have decided that I would prefer to be seen at Mayo Clinic for this type of health issue, so I called and made an appointment. They will be seeing me on Tuesday. I just wanted you to know what’s going on.” “Who will be going with you?” “Oh, Chris is starting his new job on Monday so I am going to ask my dad to go with. If he isn’t available, would you be available to listen in over the phone?” “Yes, of course. I don’t work on Tuesdays so I’ll just wait to hear from you with what you need.” “Okay, mom. Thank you. I don’t think they’ll do anything about it, but I’d rather just have their opinion since they are the best.” “I think that is very smart. It will be okay.” “Okay, I’m home now so I’ll let you know if I need you on Tuesday. Thank you. Love you.” “Love you too, I’ll talk to you soon.”

I sat in the car in the garage for a few minutes to gather myself and tried calling my Dad. He didn't answer, but I knew he'd call me back either that night or the next morning. I went into the house and told Chris, "So, I just told my mom about what's going on." "Oh? How did it go?" "It was fine. She said if my dad can't come with me on Tuesday, I can call her during my appointment." "Okay, that's helpful. I wish I could be there." "I know. It's all going to be fine. They're just going to tell me it's nothing."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 - Making the Appointment

Day 2 - Mayo Clinic Discussion